Janeen Hicks Pierre is a N.C. Board Certified Specialist in Immigration law. She has been practicing immigration law exclusively for over 11 years. She regularly practices before immigration courts nationwide, the Board of Immigration Appeals and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. She represents foreign nationals who are seeking H1B, L and E visas, family-based immigrant petitioners, and those who are seeking asylum, applying for cancellation of removal, or other forms of relief before immigration judges. She accompanies clients to immigration interviews for residency and citizenship as well as “check-ins” with Immigration and Customs Enforcement. She also prepares visa applications for deferred action and for victims of abuse and crimes.
She became interested in immigration law at the age of twelve when she learned that her brother-in-law had come to the United States as a refugee. His story opened her eyes to the very serious problems that many around the world face on a daily basis. She became further interested in immigrants and their stories after spending her junior high years in India.
Prior to starting her own firm she was the managing immigration attorney with Rawls, Scheer, Foster, & Mingo. Prior to that she was the managing attorney of the Kuck Immigration Partners Charlotte office where she helped people attain visas, work permits and citizenship. She also worked as the supervisor of litigation in the immigration services and refugee resettlement department at Catholic Charities in Atlanta, Georgia.
“My favorite part about practicing in immigration is hearing about where clients come from and helping them establish their lives in the United States.” — Janeen Hicks Pierre
Immigration Court, Charlotte, NC. 2011: I advocated and represented one of the first cases that was administratively closed in preparation for President Obama’s program for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.
Areas of Practice
Removal Defense, Family based immigration, Employment based immigration, Bonds, Federal and Board of Immigration Appeals, Asylum, TPS, U, S and T visas
• Family Based Petitions
• Deportation Defense
• Employment Based visas
• Citizenship Applications
• Fiancé Visas
• Visitor’s visas
• Waivers and Consular Processing
• Temporary Protected Status
• Our law firm can assist your same sex marriage petitions and other immigration matters that benefit same sex spouses.
Certified Legal Specialties
Board Certified Specialist in Immigration Law
• North Carolina
• U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
Loyola University New Orleans School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana
J.D. – 2005
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina
B.A. – 2000
Major: International Studies
• Georgia Asylum Immigration Network (GAIN) for new immigration practitioner.
• Presenter “Know your Rights, UNC School of Law”
• Immigration Workshops, Latin American Coalition of Charlotte and the Charlotte Coalition for Social Justice
• Continuing Legal Education course for the Mecklenburg County Bar
• Guest panelist, Charlotte School of Law
• Speaker withe the North Carolina Bar Association
• Speaker with the Freedom Center for Social Justice.
• Continuing Legal Education course for Law to the People LLC
• Volunteer for citizenship drives with Charlotte International House.
Honors and Awards
• Chair of Immigration Section of the Mecklenburg Country Bar 2012-2013
• Chair of Sports Section of Mecklenburg County Bar 2012-2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
• American Immigration Lawyers Association
• Immigration Section of the Mecklenburg County Bar
Pro Bono Activities
• Representing juvenile immigrants in immigration court
• Representing victims of human trafficking